The Apostle John is recorded as praying for his friend,
What does it mean to ask God to provide our daily bread? It means to come to God with the expectation that he will indeed provide for all our needs as we ask him for them; whether they be spiritual, physical or even emotional needs. I believe that it is keeping in faith for us to expect things to go well for us; for God to answer our prayers, in that
- The church plant to keep growing and be fruitful and effective.
- Home group / cell group be fruitful and effective.
- That all will go well in our families.
- That all will go well in our work place or business so that we can provide for our families and be generous to others - or that we will get a job, pass our exams etc.
- That God will grant us health / or heal us from illness
- That we will have boldness, wisdom, knowledge etc
- That we will grow in the fruit of the Spirit
What it doesn't mean though is that we can expect God to answer our prayers based on greed, to prosper our own sinful nature, that he is some kind of a genie in that we only have to rub the bottle the right way, or pray the right way, or.... what ever and he will do our bidding.
We have to ensure that our thoughts, our attitudes, our lives and our prayers, are lined up with Gods mind on the issue and then we can be sure that God will indeed answer our prayers.