Tuesday, 18 March 2008

All things in common

Many people think and say that Church is all about money, all they want is money or words to that effect, pentecostal churches in particular seem to be tagged with this more then others.

On Sunday we had service with a difference where towards the end the congregation was asked to stand if they were in financial need and to come down the front. I was among those who went down and then the reminder of the congregation was asked to prayerfully consider blessing those who were in need. It was both a humbling and inspiring moment for us all concerned to be blessed by giving and receiving.

Today we had a fathers day at school, where dads were encouraged to come to school and participate in the classroom with their children. This is a yearly event and part of it involves buying books for the kids to take home as well. This year it looked like I was not going to be able to buy any books for my kids, which as a dad laid a heavy burden on me. But because of our congregations generosity I was able to bless one son with a small telescope and the other with something else as well as having much left over to pay other bills.

While our preachers may not dot their I's and cross their T's with correct theology when critiqued by some, there is a real genuine practical outworking of love which is a fruit of the Spirit of God working amongst us. I think as the Apostle James says, "Words are meaningless without deeds"

1 comment:

Terry Delaney said...

I am fighting this same battle on the campus of my seminary. I am finding that prayer is not a hot topic but voting for the best blog is. I am saddened by the fact that when I asked one of my professors how I could pray for him he told me I was the first student that had ever asked that (he has taught <5 years).

We need to set aside our ivory tower theology and get down and dirty with the practical theology in order to make a difference in the lives of others. What good is an ability to argue one to a correct theological position if you aren't living out your faith in such a way that is glorifying to God?

Then again, what do I know? I am just an ordained pastor without a church and a seeming new direction to my calling.