Saturday, 8 March 2008

Should we expect the gift of tongues and prophecy to accompany the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

Adrian's Warnock has continued answering the question about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and says at the end of his post
Therefore I think we are not wrong to expect tongues and prophecy, and to ask for them, and as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14, to eagerly desire spiritual gifts. Paul himself says in that chapter that he wants all of his readers to speak in tongues, and especially to prophecy. Thus, I think we should not settle for an experience of the Spirit that makes his gifts optional and is relaxed about whether or not we receive them. Let’s press into the Spirit for all he has for us!
I whole heartedly agree with what he has said here. I get upset when I hear Christians say; "I don't want the gift of tongues for myself" or "I don't need the gift of tongues myself". or "I have the gift, but I decided not to use it any more" or insert any other gift here!"

What people are really saying when they say these things or similar is that they know better than God as to what is good for them and what is not! Paul says that Gods foolishness is greater than mans greatest wisdom, and if the gift of tongues is the least of the gifts and therefore one of the more foolish gifts that God can grant us, "I WANT IT!"

Lets indeed do as Paul suggests, eagerly desire the gifts of the Holy Spirit for God thinks they are good for us!


No comments: